Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Sinus Busting Curry

Me and pretty much everyone I know lately has been suffering from some kind of blocked sinuses, cold, sore throat or suchlike. I don't know what it is. I blame the hesitant summer. One day it's blazing hot, then it's raining, then it's cloudy and muggy, then it's clear but windy. No full on summer so far, and we wait.

After waking up at 4 am today for a sneeze fest, I am taking action. I present you with my sinus busting curry, guaranteed to melt away stuffy noses, stuffy anything in fact, from the top end to the bottom of your body.

Ingredients (makes 1 curry)

6 prawns
1/4 teaspoon corriander seeds
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 a dried birdseye chilli (the hottest you can get) alternatively 1/4 tsp chilli powder
3 curry leaves
1/4 teaspoon tumeric powder
1/2 a small onion, sliced
1/2 a small tomato, chopped in big chunks
1 tablespoon Fage yoghurt
one small clove of garlic, finely chopped
salt to taste

Method
Pound the corriander, cumin and dry chilli into a coarse powder. Fry the onions with some oil until they begin to brown and throw in all the dry spices and salt. Fry for a few minutes, don't allow to burn. Add the prawns, garlic and the tomato. Stir and cook until tomatos start to fall apart. Remove from heat and add the yoghurt. Stir in until dissolved and return to a low heat. Bubble for a few minutes until thick. Serve hot with pita or boiled rice.

It should be orange coloured and it should burn like hell (na kaei tou thanatou). I'm eating mine now - I'm sweating but I can breathe again!

2 comments:

stassa said...

Hmm, interesting... My girl loves this kind of thing. I like it, but I avoid it, since red chilli seems to be giving me tummy aches lately :(

Horseradish is also very effective for blocked sinuses. It doesn't do much against the heat though!

D-d said...

Where do you get curry leaves in Athens? I'm here for a few days and I'd like to cook for my greek friend. Does anyone sell fresh curry leaves? And what about drumsticks (the vegetables, not the chicken parts!) To make a nice sambar... Thanks!