Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Shake off those Mid Week Cobwebs



.. with A R Rahman from the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack. Everyone in the subcontinent already knows what a musical god AR Rahman is, it just took the rest of the world some time to realise this.

Now, I put my hands up and admit that when I first came across M.I.A. on the Z-list music channels where alternative musicians start out, I laughed at her. I thought she was another rich Asian brat who was using Mummy and Daddy's money for her little music hobby and trying to be edgy. But I was totally wrong and respect to her, she's a fresh breath of air in a stale music industry. That'll teach me to open my big mouth!!

M.I.A. is a British born artist of Sri Lankan descent whose family moved back to Sri Lanka when she was a baby and got involved in politics. She had a difficult childhood as a result, was often displaced and at times contact with her father was severely restricted to protect him from the Sri Lankan army. The violence and political unrest she witnessed around her went on to infuse her music and her outspoken style, leading her to let rip at MTV when they censored her song "Paper Planes" which contained an anti-arms trade message.

Enjoy!

No comments: