But lest we worry about what happened to the cheese shaped hole left behind by the now grown-up Arash, I bring you a song called Summer in Greece by George Mazonakis, with truly terrible lyrics like:
I like your country very much
I like the way you people touch
Surrender to your victory
I like your country's history
What the HELL??!! I knew Greek pop has its blonde moments, but this song is so bad I get nausea every time I hear it.
Today's entry is also dedicated to the other things about Athens that get on my nerves, just for the sake of balance because generally I quite like it here:
- Post offices and banks closing at 2:00 in the afternoon, boo!
- Parcels not being delivered to your door and you having to go get them from the post office before 2.00.
- Taxi drivers
- Footpaths which are barely big enough to walk on
- People who park on said footpaths forcing you to walk in the road, where you could be hit by afore mentioned taxi drivers
- Scary Greek women who present the news done up like glamour models
- Greasy Greek boys who whistle and make kissing noises
- Greek disregard for any sort of authority (this is a country of egocentrics)
- Mysterious lack of fresh coriander - the seeds are easy enough to come by
- Enthusiastically renting the latest foreign cinema offering to discover there is only one subtitle option - Greek